By Charles Katabalwa
10th Jan 2019
Government says out of three deaths reported from Kabowa Village, Rubaga Division in Kampala, only one tested positive of cholera while others died of Diarrhoea.
The State minister for Primary Health Care, Dr Joyce Moriku Kaducu told the media on Thursday at media center that the number of Cholera cases has risen to 16 from 7 that were reported last week.
According to her, four of the 16 case are children though all patients are currently receiving treatment at Naguru hospital.
Her statistics are critisised by the youth activists under the peasants group Habib Buwembo who claims the number of deaths due to cholera is 6.
Kaducu says government has provided emergency Ambulances to transport any person suspected to have Cholera from Kabowa on top of Oral vaccination that has been expanded to other 11districts of Hoima, Bulisa, Kasese, Arua, and Namanyingo among others to prevent the diseae.
Meanwhile, Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has earmarked 4 million USDs to construct Nalukolongo drainage Channel said to have caused the spread of Cholera in the area.
Shortly after touring Kabowa and the surrounding villages, the State minister for Kampala Benny Namugwanya Bugembe said Cholera outbreak in Kabowa has been due to the misuse of the Nalukolongo Channel with almost 85% of the families living along the channel directing their waste in the channel and their efforts will include construction of public toilets for the area on top of seminars on public health care.